cinqque5tion with Melissa Shoshahi (by: Jovin Tardif)
(The crowd applauds as Rebecca Reeds leaves the stage). As the host of the show tonight, I ran back to the stage to continue comedy week on What on What’s Good. While pointing to the audience. I yelled out: “What did you think of Rebecca Reeds everyone? Let’s give her another round of applause” (The crowd continues to clap) “Thank you Rebecca. Up next on the stage is Melissa Shoshahi. Melissa is an award-winning stand-up comedian, actress and writer. She also tours over the country and world. She is originally from Seattle, Washington and is the first Iranian-American female comedian to be touring all over the nation. You may have seen her on WhoHaha’s Top Female Comics of 2018, she has also been featured on Laughs on Fox, All Def Digital and Nickelodeon. You may have all seen her in a few indie films. She has accumulated millions of views online with sketches and stand-up clips that have gone viral. Are you ready? (The crowd cheers) “Let’s hear it for Melissa Shoshahi”
1. Melissa Shoshahi, when did you know you wanted to get into comedy and how did you pursue it?
“I kind of fell into comedy. I didn’t know I was going to pursue it as a career, but more like a fun hobby that I loved to do. As a kid, I would do impersonations of family members, characters I’d create, and throw on shows at gatherings. I didn’t know that was preparing me for my stand-up career ha! I pursued it out of college and just started hitting up open mics and gradually started building my craft.”
2. Can you tell us more about your witty personality? Can you describe your comedy style?
I’d say I’m pretty animated on stage, I have a lot of expressions on my face and love to do act-outs, so there’s a ton of energy when you watch me perform. Offstage I’m pretty mellow and quiet.
3. How do you feel about this statement? “Your comedy could inspire others to perform.”
Positive. I hope I can inspire other women and women of middle eastern descent to get into this craft if that is a desire of theirs.
4. Melissa Shoshahi, how do independent films compare to stand-up comedy?
Film is the craft of acting, stand-up comedy is being yourself on stage, just you and the mic and no one else to work with.
5. Just for fun. Describe how you felt at the following locations in one word. Go!
-WhoHaha’s Top Female Comics – Yay!
-Laughs on Fox – Fun
-All Def Digital – Experience
-Nickelodeon – Exciting
- Would you like to do a #cinqque5tion interview?
- Have an interesting story to tell?
- Do you need help with social media?
- Need a review for your restaurant, film festival or movie premiere?
- Want to partner or advertise with #whatonwhatgood?
- Need content for your magazine, newspaper, or other media?
Send us an email at whatonwhatsgood (at) gmail.com