Interview with Oscar-Nominee & Golden Globe Nominee Actor Eric Roberts
Today on What On What’s Good with Jovin Tardif, I am here with Eric Roberts. Eric started his film career with King of the Gypsies (1978), earning a Golden Globe nomination for Best Actor Debut, and was nominated for both an Academy Award and Golden Globe for his supporting role in Runaway Train (1985). In 40 years, Roberts has over 600 credits. Television and film appearances include The Dark Knight, Final Analysis, Inherent Vice, Lovelace, The Expendables, Suits, CSI, Code Black, Heroes, and Crash.
His latest project is dramatic family film “The Elevator” (2021). Eric plays Roman Juniper, a husband and father of three.
Roberts’ acting family includes sister Julia Roberts, daughter Emma Roberts and wife Eliza Roberts.
1. What attracted you to begin a career as an actor?
I did a play and I was in love.
I saw a play and I was sold.
2. How do you typically select projects?
The script. But often the people. The location.
3. How do you prepare in advance for a role?
I highlight my script in pink and yellow and I read it over and over.
I run my lines with Eliza and with other actors.
4. If you can describe each film with one word, what would it be and why?
Runaway Train – Adventurous, Suspenseful because it is!
Star 80 – True Tragedy
King of the Gypsies – Charming, Educational ~ We learned a lot about some aspects of some gypsy culture
The Dark Knight – Complex ~ I never understood it
Final Analysis – Beautiful ~ That cast!
Inherent Vice – Complex, Funny
Lovelace – True Tragedy
The Expendables – Star Studded
5. If you can describe each TV series with one word, what would it be and why?
Suits – Brilliant
CSI – Addicive
Code Black – Really good because of the cast and the writing
Heroes – Popular and I love Grunny and Milo
Crash – Musical (Loved Keaton’s music in that show)
6. Out of the many roles that you have performed as an actor, what was the hardest role that you have ever played, and why? How did you overcome the challenge?
Less than Perfect because Comedy is dead serious
7. What advice would you give upcoming actors about the entertainment industry?
Do as much of it yourself as you can
8. What can you tell us about your lead role in “The Elevator”?
I play Roman Juniper. Roman is a business man and a father of three.
On his daughter Payton’s birthday, he has go to work.
While his wife (Eugenia Kuzmina) and oldest son (Matt Rife) are setting up the decorations and food at the house, they start to wonder where Roman is.
They try to reach him but they can’t get in touch with him.
The family starts to worry about his whereabouts.
Meanwhile, a man matching Roman’s description has been reported as a victim in a life-threatening accident.
9. Are there any other upcoming projects coming soon that you can talk about?
The Righteous Gemstones is an dark comedy television series. [Eric Roberts plays Junior in Season 2]
Babylon is a drama film written and directed by Damien Chazelle. [The cast includes Brad Pitt and Margot Robbie]