Interview with Isaiah Frizzelle
Today on What On What’s Good with Host Jovin Tardif, I am here with actor, writer and podcaster Isaiah Frizzelle. Isaiah is known for his appearances as Luther Campbell in VH1’s “The Breaks” and his role in CBS’s Blue Bloods. In our interview, we discuss his role as Dom on “Boy Friends”, writing, and more.
1. When did you first get into acting?
My first acting role had to be some short my buddies and I made growing up. Didn’t realize that was the true start of me getting into acting, but my senior year of highschool was what led to where I am now.
2. Who are some of your influences growing up and why?
I dabbled! Denzel, Downey Jr., Meryl Streep, Jet Li… just to name a few. They all had something different to offer; whether it was a subtle intensity or a can of whoop ass.
3. How would you describe your roles in VH1’s “The Breaks” and CBS’s Blue Bloods.
The Breaks was a fun time! I played the role of Luther Campbell “Uncle Luke” and boy was that different. The direction I remember most was “go further” … manners were a no no haha! Blue bloods was a different kind of intensity for me and I enjoyed it. My role was a cop that was also a technician, which in some way aligned with real life. I’m a big tech guy and my mom is in law enforcement so I needed to be on my A game!
4. What can you tell us about your role in the comedy, BOY FRIENDS that premiered on YouTube that features an all-star Broadway cast. Any fun behind-the-scenes stories?
I played the role of Dom in Boy Friends. Dom seems like your typical jock but the dude has some depth! He’s also loyal to his buddies which is something I make sure to practice in real life. I think the behind the scenes fun was just hanging out and sharing laughs really.
5. Tell us a bit about the cast of BOY FRIENDS?
As far as the cast, It was a cool group to work with. You really couldn’t ask for a more talented group. It was jam-packed with broadway actors so you know that you would be in for some solid work and they didn’t disappoint.
6. You are into reading. Any recommendations?
Into reading is an understatement, my trip to Barnes and Noble is always a determined and dangerous mission (ask my wallet). If you’re a human I think two books I’d recommend off the bat, “The Four Agreements” and “The Alchemist”. Four Agreements is a book about four major key components necessary to practice daily to make it through lifeless wounded, and the Alchemist is a fictional but profound story about the characters and chapters along our journey through life. I just finished writing my own book “The Coloring Book” so I’d highly recommended looking for that soon!
7. You love to rap, sing and play guitar. Tell us about a few of your favourite artists and songs.
When it comes to music I’m a true eclectic. I have some songs that I haven’t learned the actual language to yet! Music is a whole other experience for me and because of that I have an expansive pallet: Sia, Leon Bridges, Pink, Chance The Rapper, Amy Winehouse, Adele, … Sigor Ros! One of the current songs I have on replay right now is “Emotion” by Astrid. It’s such a bop and she’s got a solid voice.
8. Do you have a dream role?
Growing up I wanted to be a Power Ranger or one of the Three Ninjas. I grew up in martial arts so it was my thing. I’ve matured in my later years though…Now I want to be a superhero! I like what’s been happening lately with diversity in terms of representation of heroes. I’m hoping to even see some new characters come to life and one of them with my name on it. The “Big Guy” that’s actually a Telekinetic. I appreciate people who are unassuming in the best way possible. Safe to say that’s been my journey.
Follow What On What’s Good
Other Interviews at What On What’s Good
- Alex Cuba Grammy Museum Exhibit Photo
- Eunice Keitan discusses “Standing With You”
- The Ellameno Beat discusses “Break Through”
- Adam Emil discusses new single “Prolly Why”
- Izabelle discusses single “Self-Talk Session”
- Kit Lang discusses ‘Seeking Esperanza’
- Carmanah discusses “Bang Bang” from “Iris”
- Kazy Tauginas discusses “Standing Eight” film
- Emi Jeen discusses 2nd single “Holy Water”
- Isaiah Frizzelle discusses his role in “Boy Friends”
- Just Costa discusses single “Bubblegum Sky”