Interview with Musical Artist Kieran Mercer
Today On What On What’s Good with Jovin Tardif, I am here with Pop/Acoustic Artist Kieran Mercer. Kieran just released his new single “Looking Through the Glass”. This is his first independent release. In 2016, he released a 6 song EP Help Me Help You. He then followed up with sophomore EP, Fools Gold, in 2018.
1. Can you tell us about your process for writing the song ‘Looking Through the Glass’?
I wrote this song after I turned 30, I was starting to feel like my glory days were passing me by and I wanted to put that feeling into a song. The lyrics and melody came pretty fast and in the moment.
2. What was it like working with long-time friend and former bandmate, Martin Leather on the song?
It’s very natural working with Martin as I’ve known him for probably over 15 years now. He’s one of the most talented musicians and producers I know so working with him is always a pleasure.
3. Some of your influences include the Kinks, Stevie Wonder and Michael Jackson. Can you tell us a favourite song from each artist and why?
The Kinks’ “Waterloo Sunset” is probably one of their greatest songs. The imagery in this song is superb and takes me back to listening to it in the back of my family’s Astro van in the ’90s.
Stevie Wonder’s “Overjoyed” – although my favourites are always changing, I would say “Overjoyed” is my favourite at the moment. The songwriting in this is so complex yet simple, and his vocals are some of the best he has ever done.
4. You opened for Marianas Trench, Walk off the Earth, Carly Rae Jepsen and Lights. Do you have any entertaining stories to share while touring?
My first tour was Carly Rae Jensen. She had just come out with “Call Me Maybe” but this was before it blew up. It was interesting to see the contrast of the poorly attended tour (we were all just starting out) and then just a month later Justin Bieber tweeted her song and changed her life forever.
5. Outside of music, what are some hobbies or things you like to do for fun and why?
I like to cook, I recently found that cooking excites me just as much as music. It’s just as creative and the origins of dishes around the world are so interesting.
Follow What On What’s Good
Other interviews at What On What’s Good
- Nova Rose discusses latest single “G.L.I.T.R.”
- Scarlet Ayliz discusses new songs coming soon
- Cotter Hill discusses new single “Good for Me”
- Joe Duca discusses “Her Name Was Jo” (2020)
- Tristan Riggs discusses “The Seventh Day” (2021)
- Kieran Mercer – “Looking Through the Glass”