Interview with Sad Luv
You might know Hargrave (Sad Luv) as the keyboard/guitar player in the indie-pop band FRANKLIN. When tragedy struck Hargrave’s family and his brother passed away at the age of 21. This heartbreaking event would be the prelude to the name change and the birth of SAD LUV.
1. Can you tell us about your musical background?
I started playing the guitar when I was 10 years old when my grandad taught me some basic chords. Shortly after, I learned saxophone, piano, drums. When I was 14, I started to learn how to produce on my own on Logic Pro. Formed a band in high school called “Franklin” who went on to tour the world and land a record deal. Once I left the band I wrote my debut album at aged 24 and signed a publishing deal with Sony BMG. From that, I started writing songs for films, TV, and other artists. This year I will be self-releasing 12 songs under the name SAD LUV. This will be out with AWAL on my own terms.
2. How would you describe the music that you do?
The music I create is mostly indie pop, dream pop, alternative pop music.
3. Any fun stories from your 87 shows all over the world?
Ha! Lots of funny stories…I was bitten by a redback spider
With all my gear, I hitchhiked from Sydney to Canberra with all my music gear. Mostly fans taking me to my headline shows.
My filling came out one morning and I needed an emergency dentist appointment right before the show.
4. What inspired you to write your new project SAD LUV?
SAD LUV means losing someone close to you. Lost my brother 3 years ago. This seemed relative to me and the music that I write.
5. What brings you happiness?
Happiness for me is seeing people relate and enjoy my music. When people connect to my music, I like it. I’m not really that happy right now I’m in a pretty dark space so I’m still trying to figure that one out!
After my album hit 4 million streams, I celebrated by heading out to Florida and renting a mustang, and driving down to Miami and Florida keys.
Follow What On What’s Good
Other Interviews at What On What’s Good
- Choclair discusses creating hit song “Let’s Ride”
- Erik Hodgson tells us a Lionel Richie story
- Sharon and Bram discuss Skinnamarink book
- Jonathan Mangum discusses ‘A Patient Man’
- Jennifer Huggins discusses Boxing Ontario
- Steve Fall from Acid Test discusses “Jus Rite” EP
- Hargrave discusses name change to SAD LUV