Interview with Stella Acquisto
Today on What On What’s Good with Host Jovin Tardif, I am here with Host, Reporter, and Weather Specialist Stella Acquisto. In our interviews, topics include Citytv Breakfast Television, CityNews Toronto, Dreams Take Flight, Athlete of the Week, her roles in V-Wars(2019) and Dog Days of Summer, and much more.
1. Can you tell us about your first experience on television as a reporter for CTV News?
I had just graduated from a post-graduate program at Seneca College for Broadcast Journalism when I was offered a video journalist position in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. I spent 2 years there before being promoted to a position in Sudbury for a year and then made the big move back to Toronto to work at CityNews. In Northern Ontario, I had the opportunity to do multiple roles. I was a Video-journalist so I would report, shoot and edit my own stories. In addition to this, I was also a weather specialist. During my time up north, I had a chance to do a 3-piece series in Haiti a year after the earthquake.
2. You have had multiple roles on both Citytv Breakfast Television and City News including host, reporter, weather specialist, and community correspondent. Do you have any advice for new broadcasting students to prepare for a show?
In preparation for a show, I just try to be as calm as possible and remember that anything can happen in a live setting, so just roll with it. Pay attention to your subject, listen to what they are saying and feed off their answers to set up your next question.
3. Can you tell us more about Dreams Take Flight? Tell us about a favourite moment?
Dreams Take Flight is a not for profit that brings deserving children to the Magic Kingdom once a year. I’ve been a part of dreams take flight for over a decade. I started as a flight attendant on the flight and eventually began to cover the flight as media. Recently, I just took on the role of social media chair. One of my most memorable experiences in the park was when a child who was blind, touched Mickey’s face. Her excitement as her face lit up with a smile, was a magical thing to experience.
4. Let’s play a game I like to call “Athlètes of the Week”. In one word, how would you describe your time with the following athletes #Athlètesoftheweek?
*Dominique Wilkins (The Human Highlight Reel)
*Morris Peterson (Mo Pete)
*Jerome Williams (JYD – Junk Yard Dog)
5. Can you tell us about your roles in V-Wars(2019) and Dog Days of Summer (2016)? How does acting compare to journalism/broadcasting?
I was a reporter/anchor in both of those roles. So, it was actually very similar to what I do on a daily basis. The only difference, the role is scripted and I’m used to adlibbing, which could be a bit of a struggle.
6. Can you tell us about the #adventuresoflaylarose?
#adventuresoflaylarose is something I created when my daughter Layla was born. I was bringing her with me to a lot of events across the city, so I figured I would turn it into an “adventure” for her. The truth is, it ended up being quite the adventure for me hauling all her things and going from place to place.
Follow What On What’s Good
Other Interviews at What On What’s Good
- Krissy Myers discusses 007 James Bond
- Major Rob Kerr discusses Christmas in the Square
- Caroline Pearce discusses fitness and nutrition
- Zvezdana Rashkovich discusses “Dubai Wives”
- Yifei Zhao discusses AlteX Academy
- Amanda Handy discusses Political Blind Date
- Stella Acquisto gives advice to future broadcasters
- Angelica Alejandro discusses film and tv roles
- Emily Klassen discusses her time on “Hannibal”
- Peng-Peng Lee discusses Perfect 10s at UCLA
- Aiyanna Stiverne discusses track and field