Boogie (2021 Film) Information
Boogie (Focus Features) is an upcoming drama film by writer, producer and restauranteur Eddie Huang. Huang is the creator of the ABC sitcom Fresh Off the Boat. This is his film directorial debut.
Taylor Takahashi as Alfred “Boogie” Chin
Taylour Paige as Eleanor
Jorge Lendeborg Jr. as Richie
Bashar “Pop Smoke” Jackson as Monk
Synopsis of the film
The story follows Alfred Chin. He is a basketball phenom living in Queens, New York. His dream is to one day play in the NBA.
In the film, he has to find a way to navigate a new girlfriend, high school, on-court rivals and the burden of expectation.
Pop Smoke plays Monk. He is the basketball rival of main character.
Statement from Eddie Huang
I’m always unpacking my personal stuff in my work. The reason why I wanted to make this movie is because I come from a family with a history of domestic violence.
I had nothing in common with the main characters besides the fact that they grew up with domestic violence and they became deviant themselves and lashed out at the world. This was a defining moment because it dawned on me that you could talk about this stuff. I decided everything I would do going forward would address aspects of my own family situation.
Boogie’s situation with his mother was completely my dynamic at home growing up. I still have a lot to uncover and understand about my relationship to my parents and culture and how it contrasts with American values and society, and I think by continuing to examine this friction in my work, my audience will see a reflection of themselves.
The movie is set to be released on March 5, 2021.
Follow What On What’s Good
- Zack Snyder’s Justice League available tomorrow
- Nicholas Jarecki’s approach to “Crisis” movie
- Eddie Murphy discusses “Coming 2 America”
- Patrick Ness discusses “Chaos Walking”
- Eddie Huang describes 2021 Film “Boogie”
- Ilya Naishuller discusses “Nobody” movie
- Dominic Cooke describes “The Courier” movie
- Jodie Foster discusses “The Mauritanian”
- Raya and the Last Dragon trailer now available
- Amy Poehler discusses how Moxie was developed
- Florian Zeller discusses drama film “The Father”