Latest posts by Jovin Tardif (see all)
cinqque5tion with Mikael M Melo (by: Jovin Tardif)
Mikael M Melo, who wouldn’t love a story about crazy rivaling twins? Let’s first establish the characters. Two polar opposite sisters named Paola and Paulina. Paola (the evil sister) loves having affairs and creating chaos everywhere she goes. She convinces her sweeter twin Paulina (the good sister) to pass as her while she escapes with a new lover. When she comes back, she gets her sister arrested and more mayhem goes down. I just read about this suspenseful telenovela online and I think it would be a great English drama right, Mikael M Melo? Meet Mikael M Melo.
Mikael M Melo creates content whether it would be on the topics of body positivity, LGBTQ+ issues, self-love, popular culture and/or what’s trending. Mikael tries to take on projects that speak to him personally. He believes in the importance of creating media that is authentic and resonates with people, just like any good telenovela.
cinqque5tion with Mikael M. Melo (by: Jovin Tardif)
1. Mikael M Melo, what does ‘telenovela’ mean to you?
Oh gosh, funny you should ask. Telenovela brings me back to my childhood where I would watch Portuguese and Spanish soap operas with my parents, aunts, uncles, and grandparents. I loved how over the top they were. A single episode could make you laugh, then cry, and then make you say “WHAT THE HECK?” Telenovelas are what sparked my interest in media and storytelling, cause of that they hold a special place in my heart.
2. Can you tell us about your experience at Ryerson University in the Radio and Television Arts: Media Production program?
Honestly, RTA (Radio Television Arts) at Ryerson was such a wonderful community. I made some incredible friends and connections there. I can’t imagine going anywhere else for university or even having a different degree other than the one I have now. I’m very happy with the time I spent there, and I’d highly recommend that program to another who has an interest in media!
3. You have worked with many companies in the past. Mikael M Melo, can you discuss the projects you did with etalk, The Cannes Film Festival, The Feldman Agency, Buzzfeed, iHeartRadio, CF Toronto Eaton Centre & YouTube’s Buffer Festival.
Yah, it’s very weird because when I was younger these were companies I idolized, so to have them on my resume feels surreal. Every company I’ve worked for I’ve worn a different hat: social media manager, production assistant, writer, content creator, reporter, etc. However, all of them have been in the entertainment and digital world – which is where my true passion lies. All of them have been such wonderful experiences, I’ve learned and grown a lot from them each of them. I’m still super young still, so I’m excited to see where I’ll work next, but I’m very thankful for the opportunities I’ve had before me.
4. I have been asked this question quite a lot and I wondered if you would define the role of an influencer?
Hmmm, it’s hard to say. Originally, I think it revolved around having influence, the idea that people believe in what you had to say. However, now I see it as someone who creates great content for an audience. I truly believe influencer and the word content creator go hand and hand.
5. Just for fun. Mikael M Melo, can you describe a “wow” moment that you have had in the entertainment industry?
A “wow” moment would probably just be when I get to meet an idol of mine. Through work-related events and connections, I’ve met Julia Roberts, Shawn Mendes, Camila Cabello, Brittany Snow, The Chainsmokers, Dua Lipa, Olivia Wilde, Fifth Harmony, Ellie Goulding, and more. It’s always super surreal because they’re just people just like me, so when you meet them in a work setting it’s super casual and it’s nice to just chat with them on a regular level. It’s more so when I go home afterwards that I’m like “Did that just happen??”
Other news at What On What’s Good
Author Jovin Tardif
- Would you like to do a #cinqque5tion interview?
- Have an interesting story to tell?
- Do you need help with social media?
- Need a review for your restaurant, film festival or movie premiere?
- Want to partner or advertise with #whatonwhatgood?
- Need content for your magazine, newspaper, or other media?
Send us an email at email@example.com or feel free to fill out the contact form below.