Interview with actress Rachel Kylian
Today on What On What’s Good with Jovin Tardif, I am here with Rachel Kylian. Kylian is a French-American actress. Rachel has appeared in several films, television shows, magazines, and music videos. In this interview, we discuss when she first decided to be an actress, how to prepare for voiceover work, her role in Interpreters, her appearances in a few television series, and her latest film “The Climb“.
1. Please describe the first moment you realized you wanted to be an actress?
I started doing theater in middle school and realized I love to be on stage. My teacher at the time told me my voice would take me far. I didn’t know what she meant at the time but years later I became a film and TV actor and a voice-over artist.
2. Your latest voice-over work includes Darren Aronofsky’s “Mother!”, TV shows “The Affair”, “Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders”, “Red Oaks” and “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”, and the French voice for the app FitBit. How do typically prepare yourself these type of projects? Any tips you can offer to new actors?
For voice over, each project is different. When I do dubbing, they give me the script on the same day. For a commercial sometimes I have the script in advance (from the audition) or they give me the copy on the day of the session. When I do ADR, they only give me the description of the scenes and I have to figure out the dialogue. So I read, research as much as I can about the project I am about to work on. I often use YouTube to check previous commercials of the client, so I get an idea of what they want. But most of the time, the client/director is there at the recording studio or on the phone and gives feedback while I perform.
3. Your latest film credits include the action thriller ‘Interpreters‘ directed by Michael Ryan. How would you describe your character? How did you prepare for the part?
I played Dr. Hanning, a medical examiner in the sci-fi movie Interpreters. I did study the script to prepare for the role and I studied the job of a coroner, body parts, and forensic terms, I watched documentaries and TV shows (Body of Proof). I am a huge fan of sci-fi and horror films, my favorite TV show as a kid was The X-Files so I was beyond excited to be part of this film. But it was a challenge to learn all this coroner jargon.
4. You were recently in CBS drama series “FBI“, STARZ’s drama series “Counterpart“, and CBS reboot of “MacGyver”. Please describe the different characters that you played.
I played a hotel receptionist in FBI Season 1 Episode 10, I have real-life experience in hospitality since my parents own a hotel and a restaurant so it was a lovely part to play. In Counterpart Season 1 Episode 7, I played a wife and in MacGyver Season 1 Episode 5 I played a German assistant in Frankfurt, I speak German fluently so I was very happy to get that part.
5. Sony Pictures’ “The Climb” directed by Michael A. Covino. Can you give us a bit of insight into the story and your first French role as a nurse?
The Climb is a beautiful story about friendship. It’s a comedy in which I played a French nurse. I am French so it was a great joy to speak my native language in an American film. The movie hits theaters July 17, and will also be released in France on July 29. I am extremely grateful for the director Michael A. Covino for offering me this part. I have never booked a French role before in a film or TV. The French parts I audition for usually go to Caucasian or Canadian actresses.
Follow What On What’s Good
Other Interviews at What On What’s Good
- James Worthy releases new single “In The Dark”
- Kaviedes releases No Days Off EP
- Halston Dare discusses single “Pinnacle”
- Lisa Nicole discusses new single “Do Your Thang”
- Elyse Saunders discusses new music video “Free”
- Kat Ostroumova discusses hypothyroidism
- Jesse Camacho discusses Locke and Key
- Hans Christopher discusses TV Mini Series Waco
- Cheyenne Rae Hernandez in The Tax Collector
- Dione Taylor discusses single “How Many Times”
- Michell Barker discusses new book
- Omgimjoe discusses new music video “Finbar”
- rIVerse discuss new single “Stand Up”
- Jenna Suru discusses L’Âge d’Or
- Bethany Zelasko discusses pro surfing
- Christmas Abbott discusses new fitness app
- Sonshine and Broccoli discuss Hug Life
- Rachel Kylian discusses latest film The Climb