cinqque5tion with Sad Luv
SAD LUV You might know Hargrave as the keyboard/guitar player in indie-pop band FRANKLIN. When tragedy struck Hargrave’s family and his brother passed away at the age of 21. This heartbreaking event would be the prelude to the name change and the birth of SAD LUV. “SAD LUV is about losing someone close to you,” Hargrave explains. SAD LUV offers dark pop music about changes, about loss and about real feelings. I reached out to SAD LUV to discuss his story.
1. Can you tell us about your musical background?
I started playing the guitar when I was 10 years old when my grandad taught me some basic chords. I went on to learn saxophone, piano, drums. When I was 14 I started to learn how to produce on my own on Logic Pro. Formed a band in high school called “Franklin” who went on to tour the world and land a record deal. Once I left the band I wrote my debut album at aged 24 and signed a publishing deal with Sony BMG. From that, I started writing songs for films, TV and other artists. This year I will be self-releasing 12 songs under the name SAD LUV. This will be out with AWAL on my own terms.
2. How would you describe the music that you do?
I would say I create mostly indie pop, dream pop, alternative pop music.
3. Any fun stories from your 87 shows all over the world?
Ha! Lots of funny stories.
I was bitten by a redback spider 🕷
I hitchhiked with all my gear from Sydney to Canberra with all my music gear. Mostly fans taking me to my headline shows.
My filling came out one morning and I needed an emergency dentist appointment right before the show
4. What inspired you to write your new project SAD LUV?
SAD LUV means losing someone close to you. I lost my brother 3 years ago. This seemed relative to me and the music that I write.
5. What brings you happiness?
Happiness for me is seeing people relate and enjoy my music. I like it when people connect to my music. I’m not really that happy right now I’m in a pretty dark space so I’m still trying to figure that one out!
After my album hit 4 million streams I celebrated by heading out to Florida and renting a mustang and driving down to Miami and Florida keys.
Other stories at What On What’s Good
- Would you like to do a #cinqque5tion interview?
- Have an interesting story to tell?
- Do you need help with social media?
- Need a review for your restaurant, film festival or movie premiere?
- Want to partner or advertise with #whatonwhatgood?
- Need content for your magazine, newspaper, or other media?
Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org